Monday, May 09, 2005

Mom's Birthday and Mother's Day

I'm posting a little out of order today. Last Thursday was mom's birthday. It was Cinco de Mayo. Karnette and I decided that since she was born 5/5/50 and was going to be 55 that it was a good year to throw a surprise party. We decided this on Tuesday. And Karnette was sick. So, I threw together a party in 2 days. It was just us kids, minus Josh and Mary, and our cousin Teri who was visiting from Germany. (No, Teri, I am not publishing your picture, just as you asked! Haha!) So, we had a Mexican themed party. I spent Thursday not only cleaning the house, but also making a cake that should have been a sombrero, but instead resembled nothing but a cake with Mexican colors on it. Teri arrived early and helped me decorate and clear the table of the mail. Mom was surprised and we all enjoyed a really good dinner of make-your-own taco salads.

For Mother's Day weekend, mom went to my Aunt Betty's house. They hung out and mom went to see grandma. On Saturday, after Sabbath school, Shawn, Karnette, all our kids and I went up to see grandma as well. Usually I only spend about 15 minutes with her because my kids get too wild, but this time the older cousins took them outside and I got to spend a while longer visiting. Then we went back to Aunt Betty and Uncle Gene's house and visited with them and Darin. We played a card game called "Golf" until I decided if I played any later I wouldn't be able to drive home. What a great time!

Oh, I want to add that since Reece isn't talking much, I'm trying to teach him to sign a bit. I thought he hadn't paid any attention, but while we were there he climbed into my lap and signed "eat". What a smart boy! And how nice to know what he wants without any whining!

Mike had to work Sunday but he and the kids served me breakfast in bed (after first dropping a plate and my rushing out to find scrambled eggs, bacon, hashed potatoes and pottery shards scattered all over the kitchen). It was actually very yummy. The kids brought me gifts of angel figurines. Alicia's is really a fairy, but she thinks it is an angel and they are both beautiful. I also got some flowers from Mike.

Later that afternoon, mom came home and Karnette came over. Mom had picked up the girls and took them to get a gift for Karnette. They picked out a really pretty cake plate decorated with grapes and some salt and pepper shakers. I had already bought the movie Phantom of the Opera for her as a gift from mom and me. I bought mom a beautiful sheer black shawl with beads and sequins on it and earrings to match. We opened the gifts and then we went out to eat at Vito's, where all three of us ordered salmon. It was to die for! Even though Mike had to work it still turned out to be a pretty good Mother's Day.

No comments: