Thursday, February 16, 2006

It's Been a Long Time, Miss Me Much?

I guess I didn't realize just how long it had been since I have posted on here. I'm always surprised when I see it. This should be a habit for me, but again, just how much can I listen to myself?

Reece, Mike and I are sick. Mike just got sick yesterday, but you'd think he'd been miserable the longest. Reece and I have been fighting it for about a month now. I think I'm just going to give in, be sick and be done with it!

Let's see. Last month, the 27th through the 29th, I went on women's retreat to the Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite. http://www.tenayalodge.com/ It is an incredible place, and our church conference reserves the weekend every year so that we can get together and listen to speakers and be completely blessed. This year was one speaker, Shelly Quinn. She is an amazing, God-filled woman who inspired each of us there to walk closer with God.

When we were driving out of the lot to come home on Sunday afternoon, Mike called my cell. The coverage out there is very spotty and my battery was just about dead from everyone trying to call me over the weekend. I answered the phone and said, "My battery is about dead, so talk fast!" He kept asking if I wanted to hear a miracle and then the phone went dead.

Once I finally got home, I was in for a shock. While Mike had been giving the kids a bath that afternoon, Reece grabbed and pulled the shower door. It fell off the track and into the tub, shattering into thousands of little, tiny pieces. Both kids had minor cuts all over them, and Mike had some on his hands. God was watching over them. This house is over 20 years old; it is possible that the glass wouldn't have been the safety glass. It was, though, and saved them from worse damage. It took me 3 days to get all the glass completely cleaned from the floor and tub. I took the other door down and plan to use a curtain until the kids are maybe in their teens.

Alicia is learning so much at preschool. She has been learning to write her name and does quite well at it. She still writes, draws and colors with both hands, so she may yet be ambidextrous. There are worse things she could be.

Reece is speaking better and more clearly by the day it seems. He learned 'library' last week. It is so cute to hear him say it. He has also learned his name is Reece. He says it kind of funny, pulling his mouth back in a sort of grimace on the "eece".

They are both getting big. Alicia is tall for her age, and as a new 5 year old, is wearing a size 6, for height. They hang on her and everything needs to be belted or pinned, but 4's and 5's are way too short. Reece is going into 3's for the same reason. My children look a bit sorry; all of their clothes are ill-fitting. They either fit in the waist and are high-waters, or they are long enough but sagging and bagging everywhere.

I've been losing weight, slow and steady. I am down 25 pounds. I want to lose 5 more, but am having a really hard time with the last few. I have been yo-yoing since Thanksgiving. I really want to be healthy and a good example to the children. Who are they going to look to first - the school system or their mom? What I model to them now will affect how they are in the future.

I'd better get off of here and get some rest so that I can get better. I am supposed to teach the little ones in Sabbath School Saturday, but there is no way that I will do it if I am still sick. I hate to expose them unnecessarily to my germs.

No comments: