Friday, April 01, 2005

Butterflies Are Free

Apparently there are a record number of butterflies migrating through our valley right now. The weather today was gorgeous, 81 degrees, so the kids wanted to be outside in the worst way. Alicia was playing with the kids next door and Reece so badly wanted to go outside as well. When I finished a couple of chores, I took him out so he could play, too. As I stepped onto the front lawn I could not believe my eyes! Coming up over the apartments on the other side of Hawkeye (our cross-street) and swooping down our street were literally tens of thousands of little butterflies, maybe more! They were practically swarming! My neighbor Kenny said that it had been a steady stream for about 3 hours by that time.

I wanted to take a picture of them, but they moved so swiftly there was no way my camera could record them well. Even with the sports setting it was still a bit blurry. Many were a light yellow and looked like butter shavings drifting past our heads. Others were orange and resembled fall leaves that were swirling and flowing without ever stopping or falling to the ground. All were small, about 2 -3 inch wingspan, and all were beautiful. The kids were mesmerized and wanted to catch them, but we explained that if we caught them they would die. So we all just watched them swoop through our yard and up over the neighbor's house on the other side.

No comments: