Monday, October 30, 2006

Reece's Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy

I finally have a few moments where I can pop on here and let you all know how it went! He is, of course, very clingy right now. It hurts for him to eat or drink and also to talk. Swallowing hurts so he gets a bunch of spit in his mouth. He doesn't want to take his medications, which is a pain in the butt because we have to hold him down and force it. Anyhow, here's how the day went:

We had to have him there at 6:45, in Modesto, so we left the house at 6 and dropped Ali off at my sister's house so she could take her to school. We were checked in and got to sit there for about an hour while we fought with him to take his vitals and get his gown on. He wasn't having any of it.

Finally, they got an order from the doctor for Versed to calm him down and make him more cooperative. It took awhile for it to kick in, but boy, when it did it sure made a difference!! He was happy and laughing. Of course, he was also having visual hallucinations at that point.

He kept reaching his hand toward the wall and pointing, saying, "I want that." Of course, nothing was there. Then he lay back on the gurney and looked at the ceiling tiles and lights and said, "Wooooaaah! Mama!! You gotta look at this!" I humored him and lay back to look at nothing myself. Yeah, my baby was stoned.

When they wheeled him off, he waved goodbye to us and proceeded to play peek-a-boo with his blanket and the nurses. It was so cute.

We went and grabbed some McDonalds for breakfast (yuck and more yuck) and went back up to the waiting room where I inhaled a couple of cups of coffee and did some homework. Pretty soon we heard crying and screaming. Mike said, "Is that Reece?" Next we heard, "I want my mommy!!!" Yeah, it was him.

We went in and got him calmed down. He was trying his hardest to rip out the IV. The pulse oximeter didn't stand a chance. We finally got him to sleep some more and then after an hour or so he started drinking some water. We stayed there until around 12:30 or so.

The doctor thought the surgery would take between 20 and 30 minutes, but it was actually done in 15. He was a very brave little boy, but I don't want to have to go through all of it again.

No comments: