Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Walking and Riding and Selling, Oh My!

What a long weekend that was!!  So tiring that I didn't even find time to post until today, two days later.

First, Saturday.  I thought (mistakenly, it turned out) that I wouldn't have deacon duty.  I had a feeling I should double-check, but wanted to have faith.  I did end up teaching the Primary class with zero preparation.  Thankfully, one of the teachers had left her teacher's edition of the lesson there so I was able to do it.  We had 8 kids in class!!  Praise God, but wow, that was a big turn-out for alumni weekend.

I found out at the end of class that I did indeed have deacon duty.  That's fine, I am an adaptable person.  I made it through the service without any problems and got the church all locked up and secured and headed home to change and go to the Relay for Life.

I grabbed the goodies I had made for my team and headed out.  I made cinnamon rolls (as they requested), banana bread (to use up old bananas), and blueberry cobbler.






It was so nice to see my old friends all together again.  We have such fun when we get together.  I said something about it being our annual reunion and Harry said we need to make it at least bi-annual.  I have to agree.  We should meet every quarter!!

Somehow, I didn't get a picture of Harry, but here's Bill and Traci with the cinnamon rolls they started requesting months ago.


Each hour of the relay has a different theme, such as 80's, prom, luau.  One of the themes is the bra lap.  Bill didn't walk, but still showed some enthusiasm for it.




They do treat the teams well.  They provided a free lunch for the walkers, but I didn't eat it.  It was grilled chicken, beans, salad, and a roll.  Since I'm a vegetarian, I passed.


At dusk, they start lighting the luminaries, which are the bags commemorating people lost to cancer.  It's a sad, sad thing to see all of those bags lining the track.  They are side-by-side around a track that measures 1/4 of a mile.  Sadly, there are so many more that could be put out there from our small city alone.

At about 11:00, Bill walked me to my car, which was parked almost as far away as my house, ha ha, and I drove home to meet Mike as he got home from work.  I fell asleep somewhere around 12:30.

I was up again by 5:30 and was really tired.  I quickly got ready and headed to Atwater, where the kids were staying with my mom.  Why was I up so early?  Because Alicia had her Pathfinder bike-a-thon is why!  I was in Atwater at about 6:30, needing to be at Castle Air Base (where the bike-a-thon was held) by 7.  The kids weren't up yet!!  I could not believe it!!  My mom actually slept in?!

I rushed and got them ready and we were headed out the door.  We got to the site just in time to help set up the club's booth.  Alicia wasn't riding because she has some trouble with her balance.  By some, I mean that she falls over every couple of pedals.  It's something we're working on and hopefully by next year's event she'll be ready to ride.  Since she wasn't riding, she got to help work the booth by handing out churros and collecting payment.  
 
Our conference president and his wife stopped by to show their support to the Pathfinders.  We feel especially close to them as their son is our dear pastor.  Elder Cano even rode 3 laps around the track!

There was some really good food there.  Not necessarily good for you, but yummy!!!!
 
Here's my lunch, crazy fries.  They skewered potatoes and then sliced them with a spiral slicer.  Opened up the potatoes by pulling them down the skewer and soaking in water.  Then they deep-fried the whole thing.  We got to pick the toppings we wanted.  I chose seasoned salt, lemon juice, ketchup, and chile sauce.  It was pretty spicy and soooo delicious!
Our club was selling churros and strawberry shortcake.  There really weren't any other dessert booths, so we did a pretty brisk business.  They were really good as well.


Alicia got to work once my mom came by and took Reece home with her.  He was bored and intent on bothering his sister as much as he could.




He didn't leave, however, until AFTER he got a sno-cone.



We had a great day and were completely exhausted by the end of it.  Matter of fact, I left before all the clean-up was done as I was so tired I was starting to get sick to my stomach.  After all, I'd only had 5 hours of sleep the whole weekend!!



No comments: