Thursday, September 14, 2006

I've tried adding to this, but with no luck.

I tend to get interrupted alot. ALOT. Imagine, two kids and I'm getting interrupted. Can anybody relate?

Well, I'm going to do some cutting and pasting from other blogs to get this one current.

From June 12, 2006:
There is a light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully it won't be painful to me. I went back to the doctor today to discuss my ongoing migraine issues. I had a headache while in his office, but it wasn't migraine quality, thank God. My blood pressure was a bit low, 110/70, and the nurse asked if it's usually low, to which I answered yes and she left it at that. I'm sure that she thought she had counted wrong, but that's normal for me. It dropped even more during pregnancy!

Anyway, back to the purpose of this entry....he asked how often I'm getting the migraines. I told him it's been at least 4 days a week and that the Frova was wonderful while it lasted, but I have run out of the samples he gave me. He decided that it is time to put me on a preventative regimen and without hesitation said, "I'm putting you on Topamax."

I cannot tell you how happy those five words made me.

I have done my research; reading, talking to others on the medication, looking up side effects and uses and decided that it was probably the best course for me to take. I was very happy to discover that he agreed with me. I will be starting with 25 mg a day for a week, 50 mg a day for the next week and 75 mg a day the third week. He said that some people end up taking 8 pills (!!) a day, but thinks that I should be fine by the 3 pills a day regimen. While in the office I was having sharp shooting pains and tingling in my left arm and hand, which he attributed to affects from the migraines. I did not know that they could do that.

I have to mention that he is a bit of a comedian. While discussing the medication (he expects me to have done my homework before entering the office because that's my way), we talked about the many uses and the side effects. He said that he hasn't had any complaints of side effects. I said, "Of course not! One of them is weight loss!" He said, "I think I may have to start getting migraines...." When he handed me the sample bottles and I asked him how to take them he said, "I think orally would be best." Then I asked him to write the regimen down, which he proceeded to do in medical shorthand. He realized what he was doing and began to rewrite it in "normal" English and I reminded him that with my years in the hospital I had learned medical shorthand and besides, Mike could always translate for me. I'm so optimistic today, that even the presence of a headache hasn't dampened my mood.

No comments: